Hi Everyone. Happy Sunday night. More importantly.... Happy 4th July and, to our friends across our northern border - a happy belated Canada Day. This is going to be a very quick post as I know many of you will be out and about celebrating, watching fireworks and spending quality time with your families tomorrow.
Of course, tonight's card had to be a red, white and blue card and had to be a celebration card. Mind you, being a Brit and all that... you know... I'm still not sure if I have forgiven you guys for throwing my favo(u)rite beverage into Boston Harbo(u)r. (Smiles)!
I wanted to do a stylized version of the stars and stripes - so keep the stripes, the colors and the stars.. but change them up a little. This card was created for the Pals Paper Arts Fourth of July challenge and also for Stampin Celebration Americana challenge. Stampincelebration is a new challenge site I found. Well, not that new... but new to me. You really should go and check out the inspiration cards and the submissions for both challenge sites. They are great.
So, I put the stripes going vertical on the left hand side of the card. The stripes were created using my scoring board. Also, to indicate love of country - and patriotic pride, I wanted to incorporate hearts. Adding them to the stars seemed the ideal way to do that. Here's a close-up
Each of the stars has a textured and a smooth element and a heart on top.
Pity the top heart wasn't in the right spot!!! grrr... I hate it when that sort of thing happens and I don't notice it until I photograph the card. Also, the bottom of the card isn't cream... it's taking on the color from the book I placed underneath the photo tent. double grrrr.
I love the Cherry Cobbler with the Night of Navy. It really seems the best color combination for the red, white and blue. It's a much better red for this kind of patriotic card than the Real Red.
- Card stock: Cherry Cobbler, Night of Navy, Whisper White
- Ink: Night of Navy
- Stamps: Fundamental Phrases (sentiment: celebrate)
- Accessories: Itty Bitty Buttons (hearts)
- Tools: scoring board, Large star punch, small star punch, Square Lattice embossing folder, Big Shot, Stam-a-ma-jig
- Cut Cherry Cobbler to A2 - vertical
- Cut Whisper White to 4 x 5 1/4 inches
- Score Whisper White at 1/8" inch apart to 2" mark
- Stamp "celebrate" in Night of Navy ink on Whisper White layer using stamp-a-ma-jig and adhere white layer to Cherry Cobbler base
- Punch 6 stars - 3 large, 3 small - run 1/2 the stars through the big shot using the square lattice embossing folder - alternating colors that are embossed
- Adhere small stars to big stars using Snail. Adhere buttons using your favorite method :-)
- Once stars are assembled, add dimensionals under the large stars and adhere to side panel of the card, over the embossed stripes.
So, I hope you like my take on the stars and stripes :-)
I hope you all had a fabulous Sunday and that you have a wonderful Monday. For those of you traveling, travel safe. For the rest of you, I hope you have some rest and relaxation in your plans. Or time spent with loved ones doing the things you enjoy.
Prayers tonight for Trish, Germaine (glad to hear that they have finally diagnosed your problem!), T, Pri, Arthur and Missy's family.
As always, thank you so much for spending time in my little area of the stamping blogosphere. Your visits, your support and your comments, are all much appreciated.