Happy Saturday night. I hope you all had a fabulous start to your weekend. Lesley's challenge this week is to use the gorgeous color scheme of Certainly Celery, Rose Red, Very Vanilla and Basic Gray. What a luscious, gorgeous color scheme it is, as you can see from the beautiful inspiration photograph.
Don't forget to pop along to Lesley's Paper Players site and play along with us.
You can see the fabulous creations from the rest of the Paper Players design team here:
Corie's Amazing Inspired by Nature
LeAnne's Delicious Strawberry confection
Lesley's gorgeous thank you card
Marlene's fabulous Petal Pizzazz for you
I love combining color challenges and sketch challenges, so I chose to use the fabulous sketch from the talented team across at stampinroyalty Don't forget to visit the site and play along. Why not combine both challenges - the sketch and the color?
I thought the light airy, flowery inspiration photograph was a great match with the sketch.
It was also a great excuse for me to pull out two of my new stamp sets - Just Believe and Butterfly Prints. I love the sentiment from the Butterfly Prints set.
Here's my card:
- Card stock: Very Vanilla Textured (used because I wanted to image to look as though it was matted in a frame); Certainly Celery, a smidge of Wild Wasabi), Basic Gray
- Stamps: Just Believe (120453 clear, 116948 wood), Butterfly Prints (120738 clear, 121049 wood), En Francais (109521)
- Inks: Rose Red, Certainly Celery, Wild Wasabi markers. Rose Red ink (for the background stamp)
- Accessories: Beautiful Wings embosslit (118138), Very Vanilla Satin Ribbon (117291)
- Tools: Big Shot with the Beautiful Wings embosslit, Wide Oval Punch, Paper Snips, Snail, Stampin' Dimensionals
- Basic Gray was cut to create a card 5 1/2" square
- Certainly Celery was cut to 5 1/4" square
- Very Vanilla was cut to 5 1/8" square.
- Adhere Certainly Celery and Very Vanilla base layers and adhere using Snail. Then wrap first piece of Very Vanilla Ribbon around both sides of the Celery and Vanilla layer. Secure and then adhere this to the Basic Gray card base
- For the focal layers - Wild Wasabi was cut to 3 3/4". Certainly Celery was cut to 3 5/8". Very Vanilla layer 3 1/2".
- Ink up the En Francais background stamp with Rose Red ink - stamp off a couple of times to create an image that is softer - you can see that mine is darker in some areas than others - you really want to create a background here, so inking off is a key component of that.
- Ink up the Just Believe flower stamp with your makers and stamp onto Very Vanilla card stock. Cut out using your Paper Snips.
- Ink the sentiment from the Butterfly Prints "Love is like a butterfly.... it goes where it pleases & pleases where it goes". using Rose Red and Certainly Celery and stamp onto Very Vanilla. Punch out using your Wide Oval Punch
- Run your Beautiful Wings embosslit through your Big Shot (or, as I did in my case, go into your Beautiful Wings stash and pull out the appropriate color :-))
- Assemble the remaining layers. I wrapped a final piece of Very Vanilla Satin Ribbon underneaeth the sentiment and cut a fork into one of the ribbon and wrapped the other end underneath the Wild Wasabi layer and secured it.
- To create a sense of movement with the butterflies, secure only 1/2 the body. That allows you to life the other wing to give the feeling that they are in flight.
- The textured Very Vanilla layer helps to add the touch of texture that was required on this card. So many of the elements are soft, that a little texture really helps to finish it off.
- I used Rose Red, Pretty in Pink and Regal Rose butteflies. Why? Because they really picked up the colors from focal image, the sentiment, and the stamped off image of the En Francais background stamp.
- You could just stamp the Just Believe image over the background. But I chose to use my snips to cut it out so that I could hang some of the leaves off the matted pieces, it also gives just a little dimension to this image
Now is your turn. The Paper Players would love to have you join us. You can use any brand of stamps and you don't have to use Stampin' Up! colors, use whatever you have that matches the Certainly Celery, Rose Red, Very Vanilla and Basic Gray challenge. You have until midnight on Friday July 16 to join us - and we would really love to see the creative things you come up with using this color scheme.
On a personal note... It's cooler here today and less humid! Oh YEAH! that makes me happy. No time in my stamping space today as we will be out and about, but I do hope to get there tomorrow.
As always, prayers for Trish, Germaine, T, Pri, Arthur, Jim/Lynn, Rach and Missy.
I hope you all have a fabulous Sunday - filled with joy, laughter and love.