Buzzin By 4 square
27 July 2010
Hi Everyone. Happy Tuesday night.
Tonight's card was created from the Just-add-ink sketch for this week.
I love the clean and simple feel of the sketch and really enjoyed playing with it. I suggest going along to look at the site to see the inspiration cards and the submission cards. Also, the design team have done a great tutorial on using crystal effects with re-inkers. I know you will fill that interesting.
Be sure to read all the way through this post for information on the final numbers for our card drive - and announcement of the next card drive.
Here's my take on the sketch. I got the chance to use a set that I don't use often enough!
SO, I forgot to photograph the inside - sorry, Trish! But it has the honeypot, colored and finished off with Crystal Effects and says "to say have a honey of a day"!
- Card stock: Daffodil Delight, Basic Black
- Stamps: Just Buzzin By
- Inks: Black StazOn
- Accessories: Basic Rhinestones, Black Grosgrain Ribbon, Daffodil Deligh 1/8" ribbon
- Tools: Crystal Effects, scoring board, Square Lattice embossing folder (for the black panel behind the bees); 1 1/4" and 1 3/8" punches
- Cut Daffodil Delight to 8 1/2 x 5 1/2" - score and fold at 4 1/4
- II cut another piece of Daffodil Delight to 5 1/2 x 4 1/4" and used my Martha Stewart scoring pad (just because it has scores at every 1/8" inches and makes scoring this much so easy) and scored at every 3/8 going in both directions. I couldn't create a honeycomb effect, but tried to do the best that I could
- I ran a piece of Basic Black card stock through my Big Shot with the Square Lattice folder. Piece is cut to 2 7/8 x 2 3/4"
- I wrapped a piece of Basic Black grosgrain ribbon around the single piece of Daffodil Delight and secured it. I then did the same thing with a piece of the Daffodil Delight 1/8" ribbon.
- I used Crystal Effects on the bodies, heads and wings of the bees and left them to dry.
- Once the bees were dry, I added Basic Rhinestones to their antenna and also to the flower. I then adhered all four squares to the square lattice black background using dimensionals.
- I then stamped the "buzzin by to say..." sentiment in Black StazOn and stamped on the scored front panel. (The whole sentiment actually says "just buzzin by..." - but I didn't have room for the whole sentiment, so only inked up the last part of the sentiment.)
- I then adhered the scored/ribboned panel to the card base and adhered the focal panel to the card using dimensionals.
- Stamped the inside, and finished it off.
On a personal note: I wanted to let you all know that I spent all of Sunday afternoon - and into the early evening, preparing, sorting and packing up the cards from our last OWH and hugsandhope drive. We collected 500 cards.... Yep..... 500 cards... well, just a little over, but I rounded the numbers! So, thank you to Soozie, Rach, Lissie, Terri, Beth, Lynn, Brenda, Cherie, Cam, Adelle and Janna.
I am so grateful to all of you for your beautiful cards. I had the most amazing fun looking through each and every card again. There are really some amazing cards. So, 500 people (servicemen/women or children) will be so happy to receive your cards - and many of those will have a double happiness value as the servicemen and women get to choose a card and send it to a loved one!
Special shout out to Terri, who is actually from Canada, but created cards knowing that they would be going to American troops. Needless to say, I am THRILLED that we have managed to send over 1300 cards across the two card drives. A special shout out to Trish, too. Even though Trish is going through chemo, she managed to make some cards for the drive... amazing! YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!
Now, many of you asked about our next card drive. I'm thinking its a good idea to do a Christmas card drive. Closing date for submission of the Christmas cards is October 30.... So..... THE NEXT CARD DRIVE FOR OWH WILL RUN FROM NOW UNTIL THE END OF SEPTEMBER. The theme: Holidays..... Christmas cards with a religious theme, secular holiday cards, holiday cards in Spanish, Kwanzaa and Hannukah. Any and all of the above will be very welcome. Actually, I can't wait to try my hand at some different holiday cards to recognize those who serve and the fact that they are of many religions and ethnic backgrounds. I actually look forward to making some Kwanzaa and Hannukah cards. Chanuka/Hannukah runs early this year, if often coincides with the Christian Christmas timeframe, but is actually early December. Kwanzaa is on December 26.
- anyone sending 10 holiday cards, with envelopes, for the troops will be entered into the drawing for the Jaydeestamping give away.
- Only two prizes will be drawn this time. A $100 first prize and a $50 second prize. Money to spend with moi on Stampin' Up! goodies. Think of all the great things you could get from the 2010/2011 Idea Book and Catalog or Holiday Mini.
- For every 10 cards and envelopes you send, you will get one entry into the drawing.
- REMEMBER...... NO GLITTER!!!! I spent an hour on Sunday trying to clean glitter off cards, my table, and me. If one card has glitter on it and it is in the pack that you send, the entire card set is compromised. Glitter is exceptionally dangerous to the troops as it is incredibly reflective and can be fatal. So, please, no glitter. If you really want to use glitter, then encase the item that you have glittered in Crystal Effects. It works really well, it still keeps the glitteriness and manages to contain the glitter to where it doesn't come off.
Prayers tonight for Trish - tomorrow is chemo day... Stay strong, my friend, it is almost the end of your treatment. For Germaine, T, Pri, Arthur, John and for Lou's dad.
As always, thanks to all of you for spending time in my little area of the stamping blogosphere. Your visits, your support and your comments are greatly appreciated. OH..... AND I AM ALMOST AT MY BLOGOVERSARY. Yep, just 4 more posts and I will have been blogging for 365 posts. As I post almost daily, that really is just about a year of blogging. Thank you all for giving me the encouragement to continue and to do this every day.
Remember - smile at a stranger, it may change their life.
So cute!! Can't wait to get Daffodil Delight in Australia - it certainly has that WOW factor!
Posted by: Danielle Daws | 29 July 2010 at 06:53 AM
Jaydee, you know how to add the right touches to this card - the square lattice embossing background, the bling antenna, and the daffodil delight ribbon. What can I say, it's the Jaydee's added touch. I needed the inspiration to use this stamp set as I have neglected it for too long.
The carddrive, oh, I am right on it. Let's see how I do this time and will let you know of my progress. It will be a challenge though since many of my Christmas stamps set "prefer" the glitter bling. Not to worry, I have plenty of time to play with it.
Posted by: Cam | 28 July 2010 at 07:10 PM
Precious card! Love the little bees. I have this stamp set and need to get it out again.
WOW! That's alot of cards for the drive! How wonderful. I'll start thinking Christmas now - with NO glitter!
Posted by: Lynn Hayes | 28 July 2010 at 01:12 PM
Very sweet card...of course loving the Daffodil Delight! I love how you layered the Daffodil Delight ribbon on the black ribbon. I'm with Trish that I do love the inside of a card (and I wish her well!). Your card drives are amazing and I will have to get some together for the next one.
Posted by: Kelli | 28 July 2010 at 10:46 AM
So very cute!! I love all the special details you added. Wow! What a fun card!
I am so glad that you got so many cards for the card drive. Count me in on the next one too! That will be a a challenge-but a fun one!
I keep watching my mailbox for my goodies from you-can't wait to play with new stamps!
Thanks for your inspiration and your hard work!
Posted by: Beth Rigden | 28 July 2010 at 09:54 AM
So bright and cheery, Jaydee! Definitely a card that will make someone happy!
Posted by: Ann Schach | 28 July 2010 at 09:14 AM
Verrrrry cute, those little bees, your card is gorgeous! Thanks for playing!
Posted by: Amanda | 28 July 2010 at 09:08 AM
I LOVED this set when I first saw it, but couldn't for the life of me figure out how in the world I would use it. You've done so brilliantly! :o) And, I of course LOVE the Daffodil Delight paired with black. :o) The bling is the perfect touch.
Hooray for LOADS of cards! Thank you so much for taking the time to get them organized and shipped out. I'm going to try to get some things together for the next drive. I LOVE making Christmas cards! :o) I don't have any Kwanzaa/Chanuka sets, though. :oS
Germaine, I'm glad to hear the pain is easing yet again. Good luck with the newest doctor. You and Trish, are as always, in my prayers.
Hugs to one and all!
Posted by: Rach | 28 July 2010 at 08:50 AM
What a honey of a card Jaydee--my kiddles have all given it thumbs up as well! The rhinestones on the antanneas and flower made me smile, it's the perfect touch.
Congrats on another successful card drive--you've made such an impact on a lot of lives, you should be so proud. I need to get started now so I will have cards for the christmas drive...Christmas in July? What could be more fun!
Thoughts and prayers for my cyber friends, Have a Happy Hump Day one & all!
Posted by: Cherie | 28 July 2010 at 08:36 AM
So CUTE!!! I love the bling on the antennas Jaydee! You know how to add just the right touch!
Trish- continue praying for you my friend!
Germaine-hope your new doctor helps you and I continue to pray for you as well!
And to all my other cyber friends prayers and well wishes to you!
Posted by: Missy | 28 July 2010 at 06:38 AM
Cute, cute card, I am coming back to life with the last four days of severe pain!! thank you all for your prayers and keeping me in your thoughts! hoping to see a new doctor, as the medication has had a bad reaction and with pain I am back to square 1.... well, but life is still sweet! for all your friends! I case one of Jaydee's cards, and hope to put it on my blog, TFS your tips too Jaydee, one of them was tried and worked great!! HUgs always and lots of love to all my cyber friends! I would like to join the christams card drive Jaydee!
Posted by: Germaine | 28 July 2010 at 05:23 AM
How wonderful are those bees!!! LOVE IT!!
SMiles SHarnee :0)
Posted by: Sharnee Torrents | 28 July 2010 at 05:09 AM
Love the bling on the antennas etc. Very cute card.
Posted by: Bronwyn Eastley | 28 July 2010 at 02:59 AM
This is just so cute Jaydee! Thanks for playing along this week :)
Posted by: Jodene | 28 July 2010 at 02:19 AM