Hi Everyone. Happy Tuesday night.
Today, two boxes of goodies arrived from SU and another one arrives tomorrow with items that were on backorder. It took me 4 hours to sort through everything, change the wood mount stamps to clear, clean out my stamping cupboard, etc. etc. etc. Yep... 4 hours! But it sure looks good and there are lots of new goodies just waiting to be handled with loving care :-)
However, there are some of my old stamps that remain favorites - Inspired by Nature is one of those sets. There is something just so amazing about the Echinacea image and I find myself going back to it again and again.
I saw this fabulous sketch across at just-add-ink. It is a classic clean and simple layout. I wanted to do a CAS layout with a little rusticity and try a new color combo. I decided that the square lattice embossing folder was a perfect backdrop for the flowers. The color combo? Old Olive, More Mustard, Very Vanilla and Early Espresso! You really should go along and check out the challenge cards. The talented design team not only have their own cards on display, but have also built a montage of the entries so far. Cool!
The sketch also allowed me to feature the sentiment "because I care" from the new level 1 hostess set "Because I Care". It really is a fabulous sentiment.
So, here's my take on the sketch.
I love the texture of the square lattice folder and the texture that comes from the stamp itself.
- Card stock: Very Vanilla, Early Espresso
- Inks: More Mustard, Early Espresso, Old Olive (markers)
- Stamps: Inspired by Nature, Because I Care
- Accessories: Early Espresso 1/8" ribbon
- Tools: Big Shot, Square Lattice Embossing folder, dimensionals
Card instructions: (really easy)
- Cut Early Espresso card stock to A2 - scored vertically
- Cut Very Vanilla card stock to 5 1/4" x 4" and run through Big Shot with the square lattice folder
- Rub Edges of the Very Vanilla piece with Early Espresso ink
- Ink up two of the flowers from the Inspired by Nature set using Early Espresso, More Mustard and Old Olive markers. Huff and puff on the stamp and stamp onto Very Vanilla card stock. Using your paper snips cut around the image
- Ink up the "because I care" sentiment using More Mustard and Early Espresso markers - stamp onto Very Vanilla layer.
- Wrap ribbon around this layer and then adhere to the Early Espresso card base
- Using snail adhere the small flower and place end of stem just under the ribbon.
- For the bigger flower, cut pieces of dimensionals (I use the outer edges of the dimensionals so that I get thin strips for the stem and leaf. I place whole dimensionals under the head of the flower. Adhere, tucking the end of the stem just under the ribbon. You could leave the entire stems on if you want, but I chose to cut them for this card
- Cut a piece of Very Vanilla card stock for the inside and decorate. A quick and easy card
On a personal note: It has been another humid day here. 96% humidity. I do find the humidity draining. I also needed to go to the hairdresser and...like you, Beth - my hair is naturally curly... and this weather just makes it ultra frizzy. I have a lot of hair... so I just look like a fuzzball!
Today, we made a little progress on the deck. We ordered comfy casual seating from Restoration Hardware. Taking advantage of the 4th July sale! I love me a bargain! The landscaper should be calling us tomorrow to come around and look at the little project we have. Hopefully we can get it done and finished and then I can take some pics for you - before and after - and show you our new space. I don't want to take pics until it is completely finished though. So that you get the true before and after feel.
Well, Lou has just let me know that dinner is ready. No, Cherie and Brenda, not mushrooms a la Lou - we are saving those for when you come to visit! Isn't he a sweetie... cooking for me so that I can update my blog and finish packing away my goodies!
Prayers as always for Trish, Germaine, Arthur, T, Pri, Missy, Rach and for Lynn's husband.
I hope everyone has a fabulous Wednesday and that you get the chance to spend time doing the things you love - with those you love the most.